Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year, New Adventures

I've decided that, for me, this is the year for adventure.  My blog will be my adventure journal, mainly because it's faster to type in my thoughts than write them down on paper. 
Probably my biggest adventure of the year will be my trip to Costa Rica in March.  From March 1-March 9th I will be part of a MOST ministries team that will be teaching sewing and quilting to two groups of women in Costa Rica.  The hope is that, through the handcrafts they produce, they will have income for their families.
Why am I going?  Here's the story:  Back in September, while researching an article I was writing on quilt -related travel, I discovered the website of 2 American ladies (who now live in Costa Rica ) who hold quilting retreats at their villa.  The thought of going somewhere like that for a quilting retreat intrigued me, and the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it.  I also thought that the first two weeks of March seemed like an ideal time to get away from Michigan.  I made an initial contact and also talked to a couple friends about the trip. Life got busy and the retreat idea was put on hold for a couple of months.  Right after Thanksgiving, I put out an e-mail to quilting friends who might be interested.  I also contacted the CR ladies to see if they had openings in March.  They were all booked up until mid-April and only one or two friends seemed interested in foreign travel.  Then came an announcement in our church bulletin:  MOST ministries was forming a team of quilters to go to Costa Rica the first week of March...they were looking for a few more people for the team.  I couldn't believe what I was reading!!!  I truly believe that God was telling me to yes, go to Costa Rica in March, but don't go to play...go to teach and use my skills.  How could I say no???
It didn't take me long to find out more and fill out my application.  March 1st is not very far away--I'm already excited! Definitely an adventure!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment