Friday, July 24, 2009

Top's Done!

Today I put the borders on my niece's quilt. Feels good to have the top all finished! I used a triple border: 1" black border, then 2" note print border and finally a 3" blue border. It will be a good size for her dorm bed, I think!
The finishing of the quilt will have to wait, though. We are off again. This time it's vacation. We're spending a week with our kids and grandkids at a state park in Missouri--centrally located for all of us. We're looking forward to the time away and a chance to get in lots of hugs. Hope the weather will be good for outdoor activities! (I think there's a quilt shop in a little town nearby...field trip for me one day?)
Not sure I will make the Aug. 15th deadline I set for completing my niece's quilt. I was telling a new Indiana friend this last week and she gave me a great idea! Why not send it to her at college (instead of at home before she leaves) and tuck in some goodies with the quilt--Oreos, M&Ms, etc. Sounds perfect to me, and takes the pressure off!
If you have not heard of the Quilters' Hall of Fame, take a look at their website. It is located in Marion, IN, in the restored home of Marie Webster. She was quite a lady in her day--the 1920's. She designed, published and sold quilt patterns and was the author of the first book about quilting--Quilts: Their Story and How to Make Them. Many of her designs appeared in Ladies Home Journal in the 20's and 30's.
Each year they hold a Celebration in Marion. A new member of the Hall of Fame is inducted and there are classes, lectures, quilt exhibits, auctions, a vendor mall. One can see "celebs" walking around--Eleanor Burns and Georgia Bonesteel have been regulars for the past few years.
I have been attending the Celebration for at least 5 years now...I use it as a time to reconnect with some of my quilting buddies in Indiana. For the past two years, I have had a booth at the vendor mall--a chance to spread the word about my patterns. It's fun to talk with quilters and hear their comments about my patterns. My "Apron Strings" was definitely a hit!
Have fun stitching (yes, I have some little scrappy projects packed to work on during vacation!). Carol :)

No comments:

Post a Comment