Monday, August 10, 2009

Vacation Shopping--Part Two



I love to wander through antique shops. Get me in one and I'm set for a couple of hours. I explore every nook and cranny, looking for quilt-related items--quilts, quilt tops, quilt blocks, fabric pieces, quilt patterns, quilt books, etc, etc. These things are getting harder and harder to find, but once in a while I find a treasure hiding under other things.

Up the street from the quilt shop in Potosi, MO was an antique mall. I couldn't spend as much time there as I usually like to because of the others that were along on the trip. I couldn't dig deep, but I did come across this little quilt. At first glance it is nothing special. Just some 4-patch blocks set with (a bit dirty) white. It has a really thick batting in it. The backing is (a bit dirty) white flannel. And it is tied--small bows of lavender ribbon are tacked in place with white string (perle cotton?). But the fabric in the top is not just any fabric--it is feed sacks, so right away I was interested! I could not find a price on the quilt anywhere--oh, oh!

I decided on a price that I was willing to pay and went in search of the shopkeeper. I asked how much the quilt was and when she replied "$10", I right away said "SOLD"! Talk about thrilled!

When I carried my little bundle out of the shop, my mother-in-law spied it and asked me what in the world I was going to do with it? My reply was that it would become part of one of my quilt talks. What DO I plan to do with it? First of all, I plan to take it apart. I'm curious as to what the thick batting is inside it. I plan to carefully wash the quilt top and study it to see how it was made. Then, I plan to just enjoy it for what it is. Will I re-make it into a different, cleaner little quilt? Only time will tell.

PS--I'll let you know what I find when I get inside it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment