Thursday, August 13, 2009

Scrapping, but not quilts

This month I am trying to complete projects that have been promised to others. Right now I am making teddy bears. (Yes, many of them.)
A friend gave me some clothing from her deceased husband with the request that I make bears for her, her kids and her grandkids from the clothing. I'm making 3 large bears (15") and 4 smaller bears (10"). Even though they aren't fuzzy, they are coming out cute. Instead of bows around their necks, they wear ties--neckties fashioned from some of her husband's ties. I'll show you a photo of the bear family when they are all done.
I started this kind of sewing about 10 years ago. After seeing my things at a local craft fair, a lady brought me clothing from her deceased parents. I made a crazy quilt and several teddy bears for her. Over the years I have made T-shirt quilts, quilts that combined T-shirts and other items of clothing, yo-yo bears from neckties, etc. Several "customers" have said that they couldn't bear to cut into or work with the clothing themselves, but it's ok for a "stranger" to do so. And all have been delighted with the finished products! I find it very rewarding to make these keepsakes for them.
Hope you are working on a rewarding project right now, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment