Friday, September 4, 2009

Seeing Red

I'm not angry, just tired of tomatoes! Those 24 tomato plants that we planted in our garden are bearing more fruit than we can possibly use! On my kitchen counter are cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, Roma tomatoes and larger ones...Early Girl, I think. I couldn't wait for the taste of that first ripe home-grown tomato (and my first BLT), but now, enough is enough! I try to give them to everyone I come across, only to learn that A LOT of people grew tomatoes this year and they have plenty, too! We've been having lots of tacos and salads, and yesterday I finally froze some.
I have to keep reminding my husband that we don't use as much produce now as we did when the girls were living at home! Definitely something to remember for next year's garden! We don't need round ones AND oval ones AND pear-shaped ones!
I have noticed that before they start to shrivel up, the little "leaves" where the stem meets the tomato form a star. Hmm, wonder if there is a design idea here somewhere? I DO love red and green quilts. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment